Yep, Alvaro Uribe really IS a lawless, psychopathic little thug. Get a load of his latest bons mots:
Colombian President Alvaro Uribe said Wednesday that he doesn’t regret ordering a cross-border raid on a rebel camp in Ecuador, despite the death of four Mexican students there.
Uribe told Mexico’s Televisa network that the students were seen in a video with the guerrillas, indicating they were in league with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC.
“They were not doing humanitarian work. They were not hostages. So why were they there?” Uribe said. “They were there as accomplices of this activity. They were there as agents of terrorism.”
Astute readers of this blog may remember his defence minister saying virtually the exact same thing.
I’m beginning to wonder if both of them suffer from Antisocial Personality Disorder. While news articles about them don’t mention what they were like in childhood and adolescence, I’m willing to lay good odds that both were very keen on sticking firecrackers up the butts of frogs. They certainly both seem to meet the diagnostic criteria as set down by the DSM-IV:
Three or more of the following are required:
1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.
2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
3. Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
4. Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
5. Reckless disregard for safety of self or others
6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honour financial obligations
7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
Hmm, how many of those criteria does the bombing raid on Ecuador alone meet? I should say ALL OF THEM. Especially that last, which El Narco’s words exemplify to perfection.